What I’ve Learnt and Achieve in the Last Twelve Months with my Ostomy
Year Four with Priscilla has been quiet, compared to other years. She settled down into a new routine after proctectomy surgery and wound day surgery. She even remained calm when I came off my medication and we came into 2020. Then COVID happened and well, I got some bad news.
But what did the next twelve months have in store for me?
- I began the ‘year’ having my perianal wound packed.
- Attended CCUK PPI day in Manchester and met some of my lovely online IBD friends in real life!
- Did a presentation at a PROFILE research event in London.
- Started college to study a Foundation Certificate in Accounting.
- Found out my Vedolizumab wouldn’t be renewed for 2020 – clinical remission – so the last infusion would be in September.
- Went part-time permanently at work.
- Was part of my hospitals’ IBD Patient Panel open day.
- Was written about in the Connect Autumn issue as CCUK Research Ambassador.
- Had my mental health medications altered as I struggled to cope.
- Eventually, I decided to leave my job and focus on studying.
- Endocrinologist trialled me on Metformin for my PCOS and Hirsutism but this failed. We started my current medication before lockdown and so far it is helping!
- Did calprotectin research with Oshi Health.
- Attended IBD sleep workshop with Ampersand & My IBD Care in London.
- Was discharged from Colorectal surgery after my perianal wound finally closed!
- Began my monthly blog newsletter in January.
- Had my stoma products amended to help contain some persistent leaks.
- Passed my first two AAT exams and became a Bookkeeper!
- Had a scary month when Newton was hit by a car and needed a big surgery on his hip.
- Had a small surgery on some epidermal cysts on my face.
- Then we had COVID happen, lockdown in the UK from late March – cancelling my third exam.
- Attended hospital for emergent care due to obstructions.
- One x-ray, one CT scan and a course of steroids later, I have a parastomal hernia!
- Managing that has been tough during lockdown but surgery is only a week away now!
- Took my third AAT exam and passed with flying colours.
- The final exam will now take place in October due to self-isolation prior to admission and recovery.
Here are the Ostomy catagory highlights:
Travelling with IBD and a Stoma – 31.10.19
Sleep with a Stoma – 24.03.20
Fibre with IBD – 05.06.20
What is Convexity? – 09.06.20
A Guide to Summer with an Ostomy – 14.07.20
Do you have any questions or queries? Or just want to share your own experiences?